Exploring the Finest: Colombia Narino’s Specialty Grade Coffees
Today, we are excited to introduce two extraordinary Colombian coffees from the renowned region of Narino. These gems not only embody the pinnacle of specialty grade coffee but also carry a unique narrative of dedication and collaboration.
Sourced from Portilla’s Cafe, established by a Colombian-Irish couple, these exceptional coffees represent a commitment to quality and sustainability.
We invite you to delve into the world of specialty coffee and discover the unique characteristics that set these coffees apart.
Understanding Specialty Coffee
Before we dive into the specifics of our new arrivals, let’s explore what makes a coffee “specialty grade.” According to the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA), specialty coffee is the highest grade of coffee available, encompassing the entire supply chain and often featuring single origin or single estate beans.
The widely accepted benchmark for specialty coffee is a score of 80 points or above on the 100-point scale used in SCA’s Cupping form. Coffees scoring 90–100 are graded as “Outstanding,” those scoring 85–89.99 are deemed “Excellent,” and those scoring 80–84.99 fall into the category of “Very Good.”
The cupping process, as outlined by SCA, involves evaluating ten key attributes: fragrance/aroma, flavor, aftertaste, acidity, body, uniformity, balance, clean cup, sweetness, and overall. Each attribute contributes to the overall score and helps define the unique profile of the coffee.
Narino’s Finest: Two Processes, Two Experiences
1. Finca La Pradera – Honey Processed (SCA Point: 85.5)
Process: Honey Processed
Our first gem, Finca La Pradera, boasts a honey processing method that lends it a distinctive flavor profile. The honey process involves removing the cherry’s skin but leaving some of the mucilage (the sticky layer surrounding the coffee bean) intact during drying. This results in a cup that harmonizes sweetness with a nuanced complexity.
- Fragrance/Aroma: Rich and inviting, with notes of honey and floral undertones.
- Flavor: A delightful fusion of fruity sweetness and subtle floral notes, creating a well-balanced profile.
- Aftertaste: Lingering and satisfying, with a touch of sweetness that leaves a lasting impression.
- Acidity: Bright and lively, enhancing the overall freshness and fruitiness of the cup.
- Body: Medium-bodied, offering a tactile experience that complements the flavor profile.
- Balance: A harmonious interplay of sweetness, acidity, and body, creating a well-rounded cup.
- Sweetness: Pronounced and pleasing, adding depth to the overall flavor experience.
- Clean Cup: Impeccably clean, allowing the true character of the coffee to shine through.
- Uniformity: Consistent across cups, ensuring a reliably exceptional experience.
- Overall: A high-quality coffee that exceeds expectations, earning its place among the finest.
2. Finca Reyes – Washed (SCA Point: 84.5)
Our second offering, Finca Reyes, undergoes the traditional washed process, where the coffee cherries are fully washed and fermented before drying. This process typically results in a cleaner, brighter cup with distinct acidity.
- Fragrance/Aroma: Crisp and bright, with notes of citrus and a hint of floral tones.
- Flavor: A well-defined citrusy acidity with a clean and refreshing taste.
- Aftertaste: Clean and brisk, leaving a zesty impression on the palate.
- Acidity: Vibrant and pronounced, contributing to the coffee’s overall liveliness.
- Body: Light to medium-bodied, enhancing the coffee’s refreshing qualities.
- Balance: A well-balanced cup with acidity taking the spotlight, complemented by a clean finish.
- Sweetness: Subtle, allowing the natural acidity to shine through.
- Clean Cup: Exceptionally clean, highlighting the coffee’s bright and vibrant notes.
- Uniformity: Consistent flavor across cups, showcasing the precision of the washing process.
- Overall: An excellent representation of a washed Colombian coffee, meeting expectations with finesse.
The Finer Points of Specialty Coffee
In the world of specialty coffee, it’s the attention to detail that elevates the experience. From the meticulous processing methods to the careful consideration of each cupping attribute, every step contributes to the final product. As you explore our new arrivals from Colombia Narino, we invite you to savor not just a cup of coffee but a journey into the extraordinary.
Experience the excellence of Finca La Pradera’s honey-processed magic and the refreshing brightness of Finca Reyes’ washed perfection. Join us in celebrating the rich tapestry of flavors that make Colombian Narino’s specialty grade coffees a true testament to the artistry of coffee cultivation and craftsmanship.